This has been a real challenge to me in my service here. I have written here the few excerpts that I read on the retreat day as they especially spoke to me, but the whole poem can be accessed here... the poem is from a book called 'If', which Amy wrote.
Calvary Love
If in any way, I belittle those who I am called to serve...
If I talk of their weak points in contrast, perhaps, with what I think of as my stronger points...
If I adopt a superior attitude, forgetting to consider the wisdom of the voice that asks me,
inwardly, "who made you different from the one you are criticising? And what do you ahve
that you have not been given?"
If I can easily discuss the shortcomings or the sins of any man or woman...
If I can speak in an off-handed way, even of a child's wrongdoing...
Then I know nothing of Calvary Love (p13-14)
If I hold on to choices of any kind, just because they are my choices...
If I give more room to my private likes and dislikes...
If I am soft on myself and can slide easily and comfortably into the vice of self-pity and eliciting
sympathy...
If I do not, by the Grace of God build a fortress around my inner man to protect it from my own
soulishness...
If the very moment I am conscious oft he shadow of 'self' crossing that inner threshold I do not
shut the door and (in the power of Him who works in us to will and to do) keep that door
shut...
Then I know nothing of Calvary Love (p 35, 37, 39)
If the praise of others elates me...
If the blame of others depresses me...
If I cannot rest when I am misunderstood, without defending myself...
If I love to be loved, more than to give love...
If I love to be served, more than serving...
Then I know nothing of Calvary Love (p 59)
I think it's both a paraphrase of 1 Corinthians 13, and also based on the poem 'If' by Rudyard Kipling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment